Tsukioka (月岡) family name, Yoshitoshi (芳年) first name, (1839-1892)
月岡芳年(Japanese), Taiso Yoshitoshi, Ikkaisai Yoshitoshi
1839: Yoshitoshi is born on April 17th.
1850: Introduced to the Ukiyo-e artist Utagawa Kuniyoshi.
1866: Co-creates “Twenty-Eight Famous Murders with Verse”. Art by Yoshitoshi and Ochiai Yoshiiku (both students of Kuniyoshi).
1875: Yoshitoshi illustrates for “Yūbin Hōchi Shinbun,” one of the early full-color news broadsheets.[※ 1]
1879: Yoshitoshi creates several illustrations for “Kabuki News.”
1885: Publishes the diptych “Picture of the Lonely House on Adachi Moor in Ōshū.” The image is temporarily banned by the Meiji government because of its sadism.[※ 2]
1886: On October 12th, Begins serializing Nishiki-e Shunbun’s “Modern Personalities Magazine” in a supplement of Yamato News.
1892: Yoshitoshi passes away on June 9th.
2012: The Ota Memorial Museum of Art holds a Yoshitoshi exhibition titled “Tsukioka Yoshitoshi: Commemorating 120 Years Since His Death.” The exhibition runs from October 2nd to November 25th.
- Yoshitoshi’s father was a low-ranking official in the Shogunate government.[※ 3]
- Yoshiyoshi’s pupils included Toshikata Mizuno, both of whom taught Kiyokata Kaburagi, who taught Shinsui Ito.
- He has been called such things as “insane artist” and “bloody Yoshitoshi.”
- Seiu Ito referenced “Lonely House on Adachi Moor” for a suspension photo he took of his wife.
- Akutagawa Ryūnosuke, Tanizaki Jun’ichirō, Yukio Mishima, Edogawa Ranpo and Yokō Tadanori admired Yoshitoshi’s work.
- Seiu Ito covers Yoshitoshi in his August 1953 Kitan Club Article “Talking About Those Times #3 - Bondage Images of the Meji Period.”
- Twenty-Eight Famous Murders with Verse (1866)
- Selection of One Hundred Warriors (1868)
- Moral Lessons Through Pictures of Good and Evil (1880)
- Picture of the Lonely House on Adachi Moor in Oshū (1885)
- One Hundred Aspects of the Moon (1885-92)
- Chiba City Museum of Art. Full-Color Newspapers of the Meiji-era Westernization Movement. Tokyo: Kokushokankokai, 2008. Print.
- Stevenson, John. Yoshitoshi’s Strange Tales. Amsterdam: Hotei Publishing, 2005. Print.
- Ito, Seiu. “Talking About Those Times #3 - Bondage Images of the Meji Period.” Kitan Club Aug. 1953. Print.